For sure, both have their charms. Both have their positives and negatives.
Old Property pros
- You can see clearly how it sits on the land – particularly in relation to its neighbouring houses and environment;
- It is going to have lots of charm;
- The interior will be welcomingly cool when you are viewing property in the summer months;
- You can check out the views from the windows;
- It will be ready to live in possibly immediately;
- It won’t cost too much to renovate.
New build pros
- We can have exactly what we want within the budget;
- You can choose a unique location;
- We can add the latest insulation, heating & bathroom facilities;
- We can choose the size of the internal space which we can’t do with an existing home;
- It can be designed to take advantage of the sun, view and your personal tastes;
- You can choose any style you like.
Old property cons
- It will be damp;
- It won’t be insulated;
- You may have to extend it to give you the space you need;
- The amount of work will always be bigger than you envisage;
- The windows may be in the wrong position or size for what you want;
- Is the roof ready to collapse?
New build cons
- The total cost. Will it be manageable?
- Can we build what we want on our land?
- What about guarantees?